FIFISH P3, an underwater drone designed by QYSEA Technology was the winner of the CES 2018 Innovation Award in Las Vegas. This is the second year running that a FIFISH drone has won this award.
QYSEA, the leading manufacturer of underwater robots, has developed P3 as one of the most advanced underwater drones capable of high resolution video (4K HD) and photography recording, with enhanced contrast even at depths of up to 100m. Aimed at professional users, the remote-controlled P3 boasts of strong industrial design for reliability and performance. The drone is claimed to have been tested for temperature and pressure variations, depth stress and thermal shocks.
Capable of operating for around 2 hours under water, the P3 is ideal for professional photographers, divers and underwater enthusiasts to spend enough time to capture sufficient and relevant data.
The P3 consists of an underwater remote vehicle and a hand-held remote control unit that is compatible with smartphones and tablets (up to 7.9”). The underwater vehicle, weighing 6kg, is battery powered and capable of completing 2 hours of operations under water on a single recharge. The P3 utilises three thrusters to achieve underwater stability and a maximum speed of 1.5m/sec. The control unit provides options for seamless movement in 6 directions, with an option for Speed mode or Regular mode.
Let’s take a look at some of P3’s features that makes it so special.
- 20MP Sony CMOS camera sensor (4x the typical underwater sensors) allows for high quality photography
- 162 degrees ultra-wide lens offers a wide range of visibility
- 4000 Lumen lighting, with 8 levels of adjustable brightness, ensures sufficient visibility under water
- ISO setting of 12800 allows the camera to capture details even in low light (ISO rating indicates the sensitivity of a camera’s image sensor to light)
- Live streaming capability, either in 1080P @30fps or 720P @30fps, using 2.4GHz transmission
The P3 is the latest addition to the growing breed of advanced underwater drones and will be competing against the likes of BIKI and Gladius. The P3 is scheduled to be launched on the 16th of January 2018 and is expected to be approx. US $2,999.
The FIFISH P3 surpasses other competitor underwater drones by a large margin in terms of overall performance and operational flexibility. With advances in visual technology, we can expect to see further refinements and enhanced features in the future.